Help grow a historic theater and arts center in Appalachia! Develop your professional skills while ensuring the preservation of arts and culture through Stuart’s Opera House, a regional leader and employer in the performing arts for Southeastern Ohio.
Appalachian Ohio is rich with assets–assets like our people, our land, and unwavering sense of self-reliance. Our region is also ripe for industry that builds on these assets while supporting the environment and the communities who call it home. As the Rural Action Community Resource VISTA, you can help us harness these assets and mobilize them for a more sustainable, more successful small business economy.
This VISTA will join the Stuart’s Opera House staff in Nelsonville, Ohio, serving alongside Arts Education Director, Marketing Director, and Events and Box Office Manager. This VISTA will assist staff to coordinate programming and help to build capacity of the new Education and Community Center and lobby space at Stuart’s Opera House. Tasks include promoting the space as a community asset, growing and managing a robust volunteer service program, and assisting the organization as needed with community and arts programming.
Additionally this VISTA will help to promote Stuart’s Opera House to underserved populations,and plan, promote, and implement events and programs to engage surrounding communities.
Rural Action benefits include:
● Living allowance (stipend): $15,002
● Segal Education award for federal student loans or future education expenses: $6,495
OR optional cash award in lieu of education award: $1,800.
● Healthcare options
● Mileage reimbursement for service-related travel and a training & equipment budget
● Additional compensation in the form of grocery gift cards, product subscriptions and thrift store credit
● Relocation and Settling In Allowance
● Eligible for SNAP (living allowance does not count as additional income if already receiving benefits)
● Experience and training in nonprofit management, sustainable sectors, environmental restoration, community development, community organizing, and Appalachian culture
● One year after service of non-competitive status when applying for Federal job
For AmeriCorps VISTA, you must have one of the following citizenship statuses: U.S. Citizens, U.S. Nationals, Lawful Permanent Resident Aliens, or persons legally residing in a state that have the following legal residency classifications: refugee, asylum or asylee, temporary protected status or deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) status. By law, only VISTA members who are either U.S. Citizens, U.S. Nationals, or Lawful Permanent Resident Aliens—sometimes referred to as “Lawful Permanent Residents”—are eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Segal Education Award. All other members will receive an end of service cash stipend.
Rural Action VISTA members serve in rural communities, so access to reliable transportation is a must. Rural Action does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, marital status, and political affiliation.
● Go to my.americorps.gov; Click “Apply to Serve” (bottom of screen)
● Build an application; you will need two references. Allow time for their response before submitting.
● “Search Listings” for Rural Action.
● Select the VISTA position you are interested in and click Apply!
● You will get a confirmation email with further instructions. After applying, VISTA applicants MUST complete additional steps, so be looking for more communication.
Need more information?
(740) 677-4047 ext. 320
To apply for this job please visit my.americorps.gov.